Literacy and its (dis)advantages

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Literacy and its (dis)advantages

Post by peugeot407 on Tue 8 Nov 2011 - 4:33

Literacy
Partly about those refered to as 1940s Germans by them who are not.

I feel a need to create a thread about this. It seems, that the level of English one posesses, and particularly the level of spelling and grammar, manages to upset people at either end of the spectrum. I myself am of the literate variety, but if somebody wishes to convert me to illiteracy, please do so here. I'll be keeping an arguably pointless list of arguments for either opinion. But first: let's do some 'dictionarying', to prevent some terminology from offending those who do not understand its meaning in this particular context:

Literacy (mass noun) • The ability to correctly apply spelling, grammar and punctuation on one's vocabulary. Not to be confused with the other meaning of the word, which is the more abstract definition of ability to read and write.
Literate (noun, pl. -s) • A person in possession of decent literacy levels. Only those who correctly use all three aspects of literacy are called literates.
Illiterate (noun, pl. -s) • A person not in possession of decent literacy levels, or failing in one or two of the three aspects of literacy. Also includes those who are in fact literates, but choose not to apply this in practice.
Grammar Nazi (noun, pl. -s) • A neurotic human spellchecker. Bear in mind that far from every literate is a Grammar Nazi.
Noob (noun, pl. -s) • An illiterate who is uncapable of noticing such. Does not include people who refuse to change their habits but are well aware of their poor literacy. Not to be confused with the more general definition of a person incapable of noticing his own ignorance.
N00b (noun, pl. -s) • A variant of the former entry, mainly used by those who do not realise they misspell one of their own defining characteristics or are not aware of the differences between the fifteenth letter of the alphabet and the number 'zero'.
Grammar (mass noun) • The art of placing words in the correct order to form sentences. The question "u r her 2" is grammatically correct, even though it lacks proper spelling and punctuation.
Spelling (mass noun) • The art of using the correct letters to form words. The question "too are here you" has correct spelling, even though it lacks proper grammar and punctuation.
Punctuation (mass noun) • The art of using punctuation marks and capital letters. The question "Too r her u?" has correct punctuation, even though it lacks proper grammar and spelling (still, the spelling is slightly better than in the 'grammar' example).

List of arguments in favour of using correct literacy standards
  • Using correct literacy standards may make one look more professional, or even more intelligent.
  • Using correct literacy standards makes texts easier to understand.
  • Not using correct literacy standards may encourage others who are not proficient in the English language to only learn shorthand and not proper spelling, punctuation and grammar.
  • Using correct literacy standards makes texts innumerably less tiresome to read.
  • Using correct literacy standards makes one immune from the rants of Grammar Nazis.
  • Using correct literacy standards will not improbably raise you in other people's esteem, particularly if you have something to ask.
  • As the mastery of a language comes mostly from continuous practice, not using correct literacy standards may lower your ability to do so in the future.

List of arguments against using correct literacy standards
  • Using correct literacy standards apparently, makes one look like an elitist in the views of some.
  • Not using correct literacy standards, apparently, once you've got the hang of it, takes less time.

Please add to the list.

peugeot407

Sola Scriptura. Sola Fide. Sola Gratia. Solus Christus. Soli Deo Gloria.

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

http://twitter.com/rjfaber91

Back to top Go down

Re: Literacy and its (dis)advantages

Post by iliander on Tue 8 Nov 2011 - 4:40

I'm both a literate and a grammar nazi. grinning grinning
iliander
Custom rank: Lord Enki
Custom rank: Lord Enki

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 on Tue 8 Nov 2011 - 4:52

I'm just a literate, but when seeing some people's literacy level, I suddenly feel an urge to move towards Grammar Nazism.

peugeot407

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude on Tue 8 Nov 2011 - 9:36

Simply making a topic about this proves to us, that you're a bit of a grammar Nazi. :lol: grinning

-Jan III Sobieski upon the victory at Vienna

The Dude
Administrator
Administrator

http://knightsandbarbarians.heavenforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 on Wed 9 Nov 2011 - 0:16

I think it proves I'm open for discussion about literacy, something a Grammar Nazi is not, since Grammar Nazism teaches that literacy is a standing value of life, and a target in itself. I don't see it that way. Razz

peugeot407

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nero on Wed 9 Nov 2011 - 21:06

I am a literate, but sometimes become a grammar nazi.
Nero
Kataphraktos
Kataphraktos

Back to top Go down

Post by musketeer925 on Thu 10 Nov 2011 - 11:45

I am a tolerant Grammar Nazi. I am annoyed by mistakes in grammar, spelling, and punctuation, but I stay silent about others' mistakes unless it is a particularly bothersome mistake, such as using "too" instead of "to" or using the incorrect variation of the word "their/they're/there".
musketeer925
Peasant
Peasant

http://m925studios.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Flying Dutchman on Sat 5 May 2012 - 9:50

I was sometimes nicknamed on the WotTA forums a Grammar Nazi by some users and I think I pretty much deserve this epithet by a 100% positive chance. :lol:

Anyway, it'd be much more better for both the illiterates and for the literates if the literates could teach and fill the gaps of the respective illiterates instead of only blaming them for being totally not of this earth regarding a certain language. (not measurely English)
The Flying Dutchman
Peasant
Peasant

Back to top Go down

Post by super7700 on Sat 5 May 2012 - 10:10

I am a literate, but I won't comment on someone else's English unless I actually cannot understand it. I never use text language, even when texting.

By the way, does anyone else find it particularly amusing when someone tells you that you need to work on your pronounciation? Very Happy

Last edited by super7700 on Sat 5 May 2012 - 10:17; edited 1 time in total
super7700
Edessan Auxilliary
Edessan Auxilliary

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeot407 on Sat 5 May 2012 - 10:15

I accidentally do that sometimes. Well, whenever I spot it I correct it to "pronunciation" of course, but sometimes it slips through...

peugeot407

peugeot407
K&B Founder
K&B Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top